Whilst there’s undoubtedly plenty of glitz and glamour surrounding spring carnival, as a Sydney girl, I have always loved autumn carnival as there are some really great local race events on the calendar. I also enjoy dressing up for autumn carnival events as it involves lots of layering, great textures and rich hues.
When it comes to this particular time in the racing calendar there are some key rules to remember:
- When it comes to headwear bejewelled headpieces, crowns and headbands are all major trends. A turban and a simple lace veil over the face are also great options if you want something a little different. If however you’re planning to wear a wide brimmed hat opt for one made of felt as opposed to straw as it’s more in keeping with the season.
- Go for heavier materials when it comes to your accessories so for example if you’re going to wear gloves, wear a leather pair rather than lace.
- Swap strappy heels for closed toe pumps.
- Instead of lighter tones go for deeper colours such as plums and navy or alternatively try monochrome. You can still wear florals but make sure to go for richer shades.
- Given the weather is cooler you’ll want to bring a coat to cover up but if you want something slightly different a cape is a great alternative.
SHOP THE POST: