Taormina in Italy is without a doubt one of my favourite places in the world. Not only did I used to go there a lot when I was little, it’s also the place where Luke and I got married. I always get asked by my friends what they should see and do when they visit there and I always share the same list with them. If you’re planning a little trip away to enjoy the European summer this year definitely consider adding Taormina to your list – I promise you’ll love it. Here’s the must-see list…
Things to do:
- Visit Mazzaro beach and/or Isola Bella Beach.
- Go to Bam Bar for a granita (an ice drink the Italians eat for breakfast). This is where all the locals go. It’s delicious!
- Do a boat tour to see the grottos. You can get a boat at Mazzaro beach.
- Visit the Greek Theatre in town (see if there is a performance you can see at night).
- Visit the Taormina Public Gardens (Giardino Pubblico). It has stunning views over the bay to Giardini Naxos and Etna.
- Visit Castelmola, a small town above Taormina. It has incredible views (and visit Bar Turrisi – it’s hilarious!).
- If you have a few days, do a tour to Mt Etna. (It takes a day and it’s REALLY cold up top so take a jumper!)
- You can also do the Godfather tour.
Places to eat:
- Il Delfino Restaurant- it’s on Mazzaro Beach so it’s great for lunch off the beach. Really nice fresh fish!
- Maffei’s Restaurant. Best food with a lovely courtyard setting.
- Hotel Timeo (this is where we had our wedding reception) go there for sunset drinks and/or dinner. Delicious food and a stunning setting.
- Ristorante L’Arco Dei Cappuccini- great food!
- Ristorante Baronessa- rooftop dining so it has a beautiful view.
- Granduca Restaurant- great pizza.
Places to drink:
- Metropole Hotel- great for sunset drinks.
- Grand Hotel Timeo – stunning setting for sunset drinks (and try their peach bellini’s!)
- Morgana Bar- garden bar for after dinner drinks…. and dancing!